Listen With Others

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin

‘Dilemma’ by Aedites

Posted by Encota on 18 August 2017

Firstly thank you to Aedites for a gentle and accurate puzzle featuring the Bard.  Early on we find out that the ‘To be or not to be …’ speech comes from Hamlet Act Three Scene One, as we uncover the misprints in the Across clues.  Now that is almost ‘QI’ knowledge – the sort of thing you know isn’t important in its own right but is, well, Quite Interesting.

That Title by That Setter looks an ideal mix for possible anagrams, don’t you think?  And I am a fan of longer anagrams …

• We had two ‘Greek’ clues, an ‘Eastern Church’ and a Title, ‘Dilemma’, that felt immediately based on Greek.
  • There was Miss America in 39a, no doubt gaining her ‘beauty sleep’ through the same daily bedtime.
  • There was ‘red’ in 37a, which I admit may be diesel.
  • In 12d we met The Times which, by definition, is timely-based media.
  • Or perhaps the politician in 29d isn’t Scottish at all but refers to the PM and May’s ideal bedtime.

And finally, in case you feel those are so short at 16 letters that they hardly even count as long anagrams, may I offer you one from one of my Posts back in March 2016:

This week’s anagram features as most of the following clue from the Guardian blog by Alan Connor (with enigmatically as the anagram indicator and everything else the anagram fodder):

Enigmatically, in one of the Bard’s best-thought-of tragedies
our insistent hero, Hamlet, queries on two fronts
about how life turns rotten (2,2,2,3,2,2,4,2,3,8,7,3,6,2,3,4,2,6,3,6,3,6,2,10,7)

There are some answers that can be biffed – and this has got to be the ultimate example!  Feel free to check my working…

12891704_1727854077430104_2006223418074610317_o

cheers

Tim / Encota

Advertisements

6 Responses to “‘Dilemma’ by Aedites”

1. TonyC said

Tim,

I recently mentioned that 100-letter anagram to anotherchrismiller on the Guardian blog, having been told about it by a (non-crosswording) friend, but I didn’t realise it had actually featured in a clue. However, having glanced at all of Alan C’s posts for Mar 2016, I don’t see it there. Do you have a link? (I think, btw, Alan may not have noticed the Bowie ref in your clue for HOMO SUPERIOR, but I did. Coincidentally, that very line has been a worm in my ear the last few days.)

Anotherchrismiller is a fan of long anagrams, and recently came up with this for a (fantasy) grid populated entirely by album titles. Not bad, eh?

2. TonyC said

I’m not quite clear whether you’re saying that actually appeared in a crossword, but if it was from 2016 it wasn’t original because my friend alerted me to it via this 2009 post:

3. Roger Phillips said

The Hamlet anagram was devised by Cory Calhoun (http://www.writers.net/writers/58434). I don’t know when, but it’s been on the Internet since before 1 Jan 2000.

4. Encota said

Yes, a fabulous piece of work and thank you to Alan Connor for first bringing it to my attention at least.

Thanks for the interesting info on its origin Roger & thanks TonyC for your interest in it 🙂

5. Encota said

And TonyC, I like the T Rex long anagram from ‘anotherchrismiller’ too!

6. TonyC said

Thanks, Roger. I guess no one has ever tried to put that in a grid, then? I like Cory Calhoun’s agentless mode of contact set out at the foot of his(/her?) writers.net profile.

Tim, I will pass on your compliments to anotherchrismiller on the G blog sometime.

For anyone reading not familiar with the oeuvre, and wanting the solution to Chris’s 74-letter anagram, it was in response to my tongue-in-cheek challenge at https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/102731123 It’s in the same thread that I mention the Hamlet anagram myself.

Chris has written a free android anagram app called Letterslate which can handle uo to 80 characters; basically scrabble tiles you can juggle on a touchscreen.